Saturday 24 June 2017

Missing You by Harlan Coben- Final Review

If I thought it was ok to simply say "hands down, absolutely amazing", and leave it at that, I would. 
However, not only is that not fair on you guys, I also have so much to say about this book. As always, I loved it, (thanks Harlan)..! I kind of feel like, in a world full of uncertain books, books that are raved about, books that are meant to be the next best thing, and aren't, Harlan Coben is the one person you can rely on to always, ALWAYS make your remember why you love reading. And he didn't fail with "missing you".
There was something different about this book. I'm usually not one for books with any smooshy, lovey dovey scenes, and yet Harlan made it feel right in this story. I think, had it not been there, it wouldn't have been complete. That's not to say that it needed any help with the plot line. I've never yet read a Coben and thought, 'well that wasn't great'. And I can guarantee, when I'm done, I'll be raving about it to my friends, and making them read it. 
Every single one of his books has a way about it, his style of writing just makes you keep reading, begging for more. You can't wait for the last page, but know you'll be sad when you've finished. This was no different.
Loved Kat Donovan, our heroine. She was portrayed extremely well, simply as a woman trying to make it in a mans world, refusing to back down and be beaten, yet trying to struggle with her desire to be loved. 
The scene settings, the character make up, the twisty turny plot, everything about this book is amazing. I have to say, I really love the title too. I was sad when I got to the end and everything was revealed to me, the whole whodunnit revelation was extremely shocking, but I love a boo that I can't guess the end to. 
I loved the criminal gang, they were so evil and creepy, and kind of scared me a little bit! But it all makes for a fantastic read. It amazes me that Coben can write two seemingly separate stories in the same book, and have the 2 plots combine into one, in the most simple of ways. I will never stop being fascinated by this man. 
You know how most writers have a good run of say, four, five books before they start to lose their flare? Or before their plot lines begin to merge together? Any avid reader will know what I mean. I can say firmly, I've never yet read a Coben and thought 'that was similar to....'. Will I ever? Who knows. For now I'm happy to say, when asked "who is your favourite author?", it will always be Harlan Coben.
Thanks for another good one!

I'll keep you posted.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment