Saturday 8 April 2017

Night Blind by Ragnar Jonasson


Hi Guys!
Hope everyone is well! 
I thought I'd just give a little brief review of what I've read so far in Night Blind. It actually upsets me to say this, but I don't think its as good as Snow Blind, for a number of reasons.
To begin with, I cannot stand the constant "should-I-stay-or-should-I-go" attitude between Ari Thor and his girlfriend, Kristin (who have now been together over 5 years!) It's so tiresome. On the same line of thought, the intro to the book tells you that Night Blind is set 5 years after Snow blind, with 2 other books set to be released linking the 2 books. I find it a little bit weird this set up, but mostly, it annoys me that we've another 2 books of the constant "I don't know what to do" with Ari and Kristin.
Secondly, the book doesn't seem to flow the same way that Snow Blind did, and I wonder if its because there are so many people to keep up with, all in different places. I'm not even really sure what's happening yet, and I'm well over half way through. As I said on Instagram, I'm all for a slow burner, but it needs to be going somewhere to make it somewhat plausible. 
Thirdly, as in Snow Blind, there are smaller chapters every now and then, italicized, spoken by another person from a diary in 1982, and I have no idea whats happening there either! I don't even know if it's a man or a woman! I keep reading, and begging for a pick up in the pace and story. I hate feeling like this about this book, I was so sure I'd love it, I just feel really let down.
However.
Not all is bad. Jonasson doesn't let down on the setting, Iceland is still as beautiful as in was in Snow Blind, and the way he makes you feel like you are there is absolutely fantastic! He has a way of not just telling you what the weather is like, but making you feel like you're stood out in the pouring rain, chilling you to your very core! I will also say, that although I'm not sure what is going on, there are a couple of people I don't really trust, but I couldn't tell you why!
So, I'll keep going, and I'll keep you posted!

C

No comments:

Post a Comment