Friday 30 June 2017

Black Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin


Well.. Since we last met, whats happened? I've picked up, and read this little masterpiece! And masterpiece is the only word for this, it was utterly amazing. Before I even begin, I want to say Big, BIG praise to Julia Heaberlin.

What jumped out to me with this book, besides the fantastic cover, was the review by the Observer, which reads as follows;
"A Thriller to remember 
why you love thrillers."

So, you'll understand just why I wanted this to be good. And yet, I was very dubious of this massive line. I don't know about you, but I find it very rare that a book lives up to such big reviews, even rarer if said review is so hyped up. 
I have to say, with this in mind, it did not live up to this review. Whoever wrote this was somewhat mistaken.
It did not remind me why I love thrillers. It made me remember just why I love reading, Period.

I cannot remember when exactly I read a book quite like this. You remember how much I loved "Find Me"? Well, much as I did, and do, this is above and beyond everything I have EVER READ.
It's a book like no other. 

Thrillers are wildly overrated, you know the kind; twisty, turny, shocking discoveries.
This was just a truly, masterfully written novel, that will stay with me for a very long time! While it would be wrong of me to say there were no twists and turns, there were a few, the book didn't need them to be amazing. There were very few twists, but I think had Heaberlin written in  more, it wouldn't have been half as good. She stuck to the story she wanted to tell you, she made you believe every part of the story, feel the characters, fall in love with them, be utterly creeped and freaked out by them, and love a book so, so much!

The novel began slow, I was worried at one point that I wouldn't get into it. If you read this book, I beg you, please bear with it. You will not be disappointed. I promise you! I'm not sure I've read many books that filled me with such raw emotion. I find Heaberlin's style to be very similar to that of Du Maurier, and who doesn't love 'Rebecca' and 'My Cousin Rachel'? I've never been so freaked out late at night, yet unable to stop reading. In fact, true story, I was so freaked out at one bit in the book, and it just so happened that our electric outed for a few seconds, I'm sure I was reduced to a terrified, hyperventilating mess!
But, it was so fantastic. I love this book so much.
One thing that I really found amazing, was that (slight spoiler) the end of this book, actually ties up all the ends with the characters. I hate it when you get to the end of a book, and you're left wondering what happened to half the cast. Not so with this book.

I will, sadly, and annoyingly hold up my hands and say, I broke my one rule when it comes to reading. I flipped forward..
I try so hard not to, and mostly manage not to, but couldn't help myself with this book. I was punished for it though, for in doing so, I figured out the book! I have never been so annoyed with myself. 
However, saying that, you'd think I wouldn't be shocked wouldn't you? Once again, not so! Although I knew who it was, I was still left breathless!

The last 40ish pages, Heaberlin seriously went "Foot, to Pedal, to Floor!" It did not stop, I'm sure had I been in an F1 car, I wouldn't have felt half the adrenaline I did with this book. I was, instead of concertrating on my day, figuring out when I could next snatch a few minutes to read my book. And every time I did get the time, I made sure I was reading. And now I've finished it? I'm utterly shattered!

There's one other thing.
When you've finished a great book, you know that feeling, the one that goes 'Oh. its done, now what??' I didn't get that with this book. Weird? Not at all. I loved this book, so much so, I could safely say, should I never read another book, I have the satisfaction of knowing my last book, was one of the greatest.

Thank you, Julia Heaberlin, for reminding me, just why I love reading.

Period.


Charlotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment