Tuesday 28 March 2017

The Hidden Child - Final Review


Hi Guys!

Here it is.. Its happened! I've finished this amazing, wonderful, truly masterful piece of work! And I mean, I have JUST finished it. I was going to leave the review until tomorrow morning, but I thought it was just so amazing, I couldn't not tell you all about it!
The last 150-200 pages were just an utter world-wind. I don't even really know where to start with this review, the story has hit me so much. I'm sure I'll not be able to shake this book off for such a long time. 
So, the last time I reviewed, I said I had a feeling as to who the killer was, and I said I was probably wrong. I was. Well, almost! 
You know when you love a book so much you want to tell everyone about it, but you don't want to spoil it for them, because you wan them to experience the same magic you did? Well that's where I am with you guys. I so want to tell you all about it, how it works out, all the back story! But I o want you to have the same shocked expression on your face when you read it. I want you all to gasp for breath because you're as shocked as I was. I want you to experience the pain, the love, the hate, the jealousy, everything!
All I will say is this, never EVER have I been so touched and moved by a novel. 
The intertwining plots throughout the story, pull it all together as the end to make a true masterpiece of a novel (I even cried a little bit at the end.) I've also never experienced such a profound last sentence that ties everything together.
Should I ever meet Camilla Lackberg (not that I ever will) I'd like to tell her how wonderful a storyteller she is. She made the characters live, like I've never known before. She made me feel so many emotions in one novel, I feel like I've just got off the fastest roller coaster, and now somehow I have to get used to the atmosphere around me again. 

The character relationships were fantastic, I love the relationship between Erica and her husband especially so. 
The writing style was fantastic too. As you probably remember I said in a previous review, Lackberg has a tendency to dangle a hope of finding it all out, only to take it away just as quick! The last 50 pages are a shocker for that! I've never been so on the edge of my seat!
I do have one tiny confession...!
When I first got this book, the blurb didn't grab me, it seemed very obscure, almost a little bit "here we go again, past meets up with present, secrets come to the fore". I couldn't have been more wrong! It was so far from a typical secrets hidden should stay that way, story. I was so much more than that. 
It made me realize that as humans, sometimes we depend on people too much, when really we should be questioning whether we can really even trust them. Friends, this story made me see, are sometimes just merely acquaintances, who will come and go as quickly as a rain storm, leaving behind damage, for everyone else to clear away. Just as a blue sky can quickly turn stormy, so can a false friend quickly hurt you.
The main thing that hit me though was this. Family. 
We don't always appreciate it, we don't always like it. 
Know what you have. Love what you have.
Because you never know when you won't have it.

To Camilla Lackberg - Thank you for a wonderful book. It's people like you that make reading more than just a pastime. 
To my readers - I genuinely hope you read this book. Even if you don't love it like I do. I hope you can experience exactly what I have.

What's next?
That would be telling.. 
Instagram might tell you though!

I'll keep you Posted.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment