Friday 17 March 2017

The hidden child - Update #2



Halfway through and still loving this book, and there are so many different reasons to do so! As you've probably noticed, I've been with the book now for, how long now? Almost a week! Yet, I'm only about half through it... It's a long book! Over 500 pages, and the layout makes it, that every other chapter is a long one! But actually that's one of the things I love about this book. 
The present day chapters are invariably around 30 pages, and the past pages are 3! At first, this really annoyed me, but I can see why Lackberg has done it this way. 

So, in the present day chapters, we keep finding out new information to add to what we already have about the characters, some of which are very shady indeed! But who doesn't love a good shady character?! You really have to try and keep up with what each person is doing, as it flips between people rather quickly! I'm also finding that no one seems to want to talk about the past. Every time Erica contacts a person from her mothers past, they seem to clam up and glaze over. Weird or what?
But, when you come to the past chapters, set in 1943, we are allowed only small amounts of information. I think that this is fantastic writing from Lackberg; it keeps you guessing. Just when you think something might come to light from the past, BAM! Chapter ends! If that doesn't keep you reading nothing will!
I also made another new amazing discovery (tiny spoiler alert) Erica has found within her mothers belongings, an old baby shirt, covered in blood! Who does it belong to, you ask? I don't know, but I intend to find out!

I'll keep you posted!

C

No comments:

Post a Comment